Volume XVII Issue VIII THE POST July 18th, 2017
Month of August Focus
VA General Eligibility
Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions. Active service means full-time service, other than active duty for training as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard or Merchant Marines.
Dishonorable and bad conduct discharges issued by general courts-martial may bar VA benefits. Veterans in prison and parolees must contact VA regional offices to determine eligibility. VA benefits will not be provided to any Veteran or dependent wanted for an outstanding felony warrant.
Certain VA Benefits
Require Wartime Service
Certain VA benefits require service during wartime. Under the law, the VA recognizes these war periods:
- Mexican Border Period: May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917, for Veterans who served in Mexico, or its borders or in adjacent waters.
- World War I: April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918, or Veterans who served in Russia, April 6, 1917 through April 1, 1920.
- World War II: December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946.
- Korean War: June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955.
- Vietnam War: August 5, 1964 (February 28, 1961 for Vets who served “in-country” before August 5, 1964) through May 7, 1975.
- Gulf War: August 2, 1990 – November 11, 1998
Sick Call for the month of August
Ron Siemienas, Robert Lewis, Sal Estrada, Lou Lonero, Tom Chambers, John Ferraro, Richard Balboa, Richard Hook, Edmund Stangl, Warren Koerner, William Jones, Stan Kuchta, Edward J. Kmierc, Ralph Bechtold, Robert Palucki, Dennis Ryan Sr, Joseph Pletzke and Chuck Krezwick.
Birthdays for the month of August
Daniel Braglia (2), Joseph Perez (2), David Evers (4), Matthew Piwowarski (4), George Kuczero (6), Marcus O’Donnell (6), Howard Boone Jr. (11), Ralph Bechtold (13), Martin Brennan (14), Michael Champion (16), Donnie J. Simmons (26), Thomas Foster (26), Richard Carriel (29), Ray Wojewnik (30), Anthony Cimo (31) and Charles Krezwick (31).